July 21, 2016
Based on my last email, I realized that it is currently an incredible opportunity to buy shares of Linamar (LNR).
Here are their numbers from Morningstar:
- P/E = 7.8
- P/BV = 1.5
- P/E * P/BV = 11.7
Holy smokes is this a bargain. Not only by Buffet’s metric of being under 22.5, but also by its 5-year averages:
P/E = 13 (40% discount)
P/BV = 1.9 (21% discount)
So what makes Linamar a great company? Well other than its excellent financials (dividend growth isn’t substantial but it is consistent, plus it’s a growth company anyways), here are Linamar’s highlights:
- primarily makes powertrain solutions for many types of vehicles, from cars to industrial all over the world (13 countries & probably sells to others too)
- secondary business is Skyjack which is a global leader in aerial work platforms; this is a good support business for when the auto industry declines
- they have a ONE HUNDRED YEAR business plan… wow :O
- the CEO is the daughter of the Hungarian founder of 1966 (who is now chairman of the board); they clearly care about the success of the business
- Just seems like a very progressive & strategic company all-around (7 R&D facilities looking into fields such as agricultural and medical, and already have solutions for electric vehicles); they’re eager to adapt to the changing world
Our vehicles may not look the same in 5, 10, 20 years, but they will still need a powertrain regardless. I do hope to own it in the near future, but haven’t decided for sure.
“We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.”
Looking for more than rudimentary valuation metrics?
InvestorsFriend is a value-focused service that looks deeper than P/E or P/BV. I partnered with InvestorsFriend because many of my readers just wanted a professional to suggest EXACTLY what to invest in.
InvestorsFriend has a 18-year track record of materially outperforming the index. Shawn Allen has the credentials and expertise to provide clear buy/sell recommendations.
Interest you? Subscribe here.